I gave a webinar on Friday, November 10th, 2023 on the topic of how executives and leaders can maximize the value of a leadership development experience.
In the session, I described several types of leadership programs, as well as the profiles of typical participants, and the kinds of assessments most often used; I also outlined the steps involved in an individualized leadership development program - involving assessment, feedback, development planning, and coaching - and suggested ways leaders can prepare for and gain the most benefit from each step.
If you'd like to watch any or all of the presentation, you can click on the Youtube video link above.
Here is a breakdown of the key topics discussed, along with time stamps for each, to help you navigate to various sections of the video:
- A review of the major types of leadership development programs offered by most organizations. [5:15]
- A review of the key steps in an individualized leadership program (i.e., assessment, feedback, development planning, and coaching). [13:50]
- The profiles of typical leadership program participants. [18:09]
- The most common assessments used in leadership development programs. [21:49]
Receiving in-depth feedback
- What to expect when receiving in-depth feedback. [25:37]
- How to maximize the value of receiving in-depth feedback. [29:23]
Creating a development plan
- What to expect when setting development goals. [34:30]
- How to maximize the value of setting development goals. [36:51]
- How leadership development coaching is unique compared to other colloquial notions of 'coaching.' [45:53]
- What to expect from a coaching experience. [49:39]
- How to maximize the value of a coaching experience. [54:19]
Thank you for reading and I would welcome your feedback. If you would like to receive future original articles providing unique insights on leadership, please consider subscribing to my newsletter at www.timjacksonphd.com
Tim Jackson Ph.D. is the President of Jackson Leadership, Inc. and a leadership assessment and coaching expert with 17 years of experience. He has assessed and coached leaders across a variety of sectors including agriculture, chemicals, consumer products, finance, logistics, manufacturing, media, not-for-profit, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, and utilities and power generation, including multiple private-equity-owned businesses. He's also worked with leaders across numerous functional areas, including sales, marketing, supply chain, finance, information technology, operations, sustainability, charitable, general management, health and safety, quality control, and across hierarchical levels from individual contributors to CEOs. In addition Tim has worked with leaders across several geographical regions, including Canada, the US, Western Europe, and China. He has published his ideas on leadership in both popular media, and peer-reviewed journals. Tim has a Ph.D. in organizational psychology, and is based in Toronto.